Covering the back wall of your aquarium with moss or plants can be quite a challenge. Here we show you how to do this...
Want to cover the back wall of your aquarium with moss or other plants? It may just be the case that the back wall of your aquarium could use some vegetation. Below we will work to create a perfect surface on which plants and moss can grow.
The DOOA Wabi Kusa Mat is a sturdy, spongy mat made of plastic fibers that provides a perfect surface for moss to grow. Epiphytes also find excellent support with their roots. The spongy material immediately serves as filter material.
- DOOA Wabi Kusa Mat
- Suction cup O 7mm
- ADA Wood Tight (or DOOA Terra Line)
- Plants and/or Moss
A hole is pierced in the top corner of the Wabi Kusa Mat with sharp scissors. The hole can be made larger with scissors or tweezers. If the hole is large enough for the Suction Cup O, it can be inserted through. In the other top corner we do exactly the same. By connecting both suction cups, they are secured and cannot simply fall out.
The intention is that the mat will soon grow completely closed. Here we distribute the cuttings of Microsorum pteropus 'Trident' evenly over the mat. The mat is wrapped in the wire with a pre-cut piece of ADA Wood Tight. This way the plants are firmly attached and we do not have to worry that it will eventually come loose. The same method can also be used to attach pieces of moss to the mat with DOOA Terra Line.
Once all the plants are in place, the Wabi Kusa Mat can be stuck to the rear window with the suction cups. Now we have to wait until it will grow nicely closed.
Now that you see how easy it is to pimp your back wall, you probably want to get started yourself. Be creative. Here are some additional ideas for you:
- Place as many mats next to each other as you want to cover the entire back wall
- Combine different plants and mosses on a mat
- Cut the mat into the shape that is suitable for your aquarium
- Cut small pieces to attach Anubias, Bucephalandras, Java ferns in different places on the back wall
- Make a back wall for a DOOA Neo Glass Air from Wabi Kusa mat
- Create a piece of vegetated back wall in your breeding or shrimp aquarium
Do you have some nice ideas of your own? Let me know! Have you made something beautiful? Let us know that too!